Sunday, May 3, 2009

Day 17

The psychiatric nurse at the facility called me today. to let me know the results of the psychiatrist's meeting with our son. The "med clinic" was held last night, and , as expected the psychiatrist met with him to determine if he was clinically depressed. The results were unambiguous...on the 50 question depression scale, most of his answers reflected "marked" or "severe" depression symptoms. The interesting thing was that under Maine state law, we need to consent, but the decision on whether or not to take an antidepressant is his. He needs to consent, and can withdraw consent at any time.

So, as he had decided he wanted to give it a try, she was calling to ask me for my consent. Which after a long discussion, I gave. He'll be starting on 10 mg of Prozac on Tuesday morning, and if it's effective, will probably take it for 12-18 months.

1 comment:

  1. I was on 30 mg of Prozac at 16 and it worked wonders for me. Although, it did make me a bit hyper, so I was also on Trazodone to help me sleep at night.

    I'm glad your son decided to give it a try. I think you're going to see some very big changes in his demeanor.

    ReplyDelete