Saturday, May 16, 2009

Day 30

Back on Day 16 I mentioned that the school's director was impressed by a "haunting personal essay" he wrote about personal experiences with racism. I asked if I could see a copy, which was forwarded to me on the QT, as I guess these usually aren't shared. Well, I was perplexed when I read it, as it describes, in detail, his standing by not intervening as a classmate beat another in 6th grade, the white boy pounding the black boy's head against the wall during recess, and leaving him unconscious. My son went on to describe how horrible he felt about not trying to stop it. Pretty heavy stuff...but I'm almost 100% sure it never happened. So, is he conning them? Was this piece of creative writing just a way to avoid him actually recounting how he felt when he was stereotyped for his long hair and pierced lip? Or, could it be that the story merely used alter egos to project the feelings he had about being bullied in middle school? Since I'm not supposed to have seen it-- do I ignore it? Or do I mention it to his therapist in our Monday call?

No comments:

Post a Comment