Friday, April 17, 2009

Day 1

Our son's therapist called around 8:30 am to let us know that he had arrived safely, and had participated cooperatively during the intake process. When I asked how he was doing, the therapist responded that if 1 was out of control, and 10 was perfect, he was "about a 9"...not happy to be there, but interested in checking the place and the other kids out.

He was given writing materials, brought to a circle of stones, where he was given his first assignment: write letters to his parents, his therapist and himself, write a statement about "why I am here", and write an autobiography that is at least 15 pages long. When these assignments are completed, he will join the rest of the community. Although he'll be sleeping in the bunkhouse with the rest of the boys, no one is allowed to talk to him until he's finished his assignments. The process can take 2-3 days, and we'll be notified when he moves on.

Another staff member called me later in the morning to let me know that although he'd been very tearful when he arrived, he was being compliant, and had written two of the letters so far. He also had questions about when and how often my son used his asthma inhaler.

Mid-day, I got a third phone from his unit leader letting me know that he'd completed all the letters, as well as the "why I am here" essay, and was starting on doing some drawings and autobiography. She also let me know that his urine did test positive for marijuana, but he was negative for all the other substances they test for during intake. Good news of sorts. The bad news was that he was refusing food. This is not uncommon when he is depressed--but what had always happened at home was that he would not eat all day, then get high and eat voraciously.

His therapist touched base with me again at 4:30, to let me know that he was writing prolifically. A few hours later, I got another phone call from his unit leader. She said he had written a second letter to us, and had begun eating. She also then mentioned two "non standard" things that had been done for him. He'd asked for a tent to use in the contemplation area, to give him some privacy. They provided one, and he set it up. And, despite the usual practice of not allowing new arrivals to talk during the reflection days, they had a peer mentor who was almost ready for graduation come out to talk to him.

I must say that the constant communication from the facility today has been awesome. And the fact that they are not afraid to modify their usual practices to meet the needs of an individual child demonstrates that they are truly concerned with what best serves each child. I'm still extremely depressed--and hoping I did the right thing--but I'm reassured that the caliber of the people that are looking after him is first rate.

No comments:

Post a Comment