Monday, April 27, 2009

Day 11

No letter today, so I'm assuming he's realized that asking us to bring him home won't work, and we'll only be receiving the required two letters home a week. I did write to him to today to let him know that we could not pass the letter he sent to his girlfriend on to her. That was very painful to write, as I know how much that will hurt him. But as the therapist said, he needs to work on his own issues-- without distractions. He will probably feel more betrayed by that action than by the fact that we sent him there in the first place.

The other news was good--more or less--he's being polite, cooperative, and working hard...although he still hasn't identified anything he needs to work on. The therapist feels it's unlikely he'll be ready to see us at the next family weekend in May- which means it will be the last weekend in July before we see him.

His pediatrician called tonight, and reassured me that this was necessary- that it was highly unlikely that our son would pull out of this on his own. I know that in my head; I'm still waiting for my heart to catch up.

1 comment:

  1. You know, even if you can't send him a letter everyday, and can only send a letter every other, you could keep a journal where you detail how you feel, what you miss about him not being there, etc. You can also include things that are going on around you. Maybe add pictures of him and your family. That way, when he comes back, he has a really detailed journal of your lives. He will see how much you loved and missed him. You can really get into the whys of what you did. One day, if he has children of his own, he can show them what his mom did for him to make him happy and healthy. I think that would be a great thing for him and you.

    ReplyDelete