Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Day 13

Good news today from the education coordinator. After reviewing the work he's done in the week he's been there, she feels he is ready for 11th grade honors Algebra 2 and American Literature. While she feels he could also handle honors chemistry, we're keeping him in college prep as he only has a limited number of hours a day for school, so the amount of work involved in 3 honors courses might be too much. That was it for good news.

I got a cut through your heart letter today - in the cycles of grief, he'd definitely spiraled back from depression to anger. It was incredibly cruel, and addressed only to me. He denied that he'd intended to use the knife I'd found in his room to hurt himself, but then went on to let me know that he was more apt to commit suicide in the future because of what I was doing- and that when he did, he'd make sure that he would do it in a horrible manner, and make sure that I would find him. I immediately called his therapist to see if he was in a safe frame of mind. They had actually just finished speaking, and he reassured me that he was fine...and that the letter was designed to hurt me- which it had. He recommended that my response be brief and just focus on the fact that extreme statements like that were one of the reasons he'd been enrolled in the program - period. This is another learning moment for me, as my tendency had always been to ignore my feelings, and focusing on addressing the pain underneath his behavior. Responding to a letter like that with a cool reply is a foreign concept to me. I think I need to process this a bit more, and sleep on it before drafting my reply.

No comments:

Post a Comment